Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Eve Dinner

Happy New Year everyone!

Our family rang in the new year with a small celebration at our house.
.
I had so much fun getting my dining table set for the festivities and loved how it turned out so I thought I would share it today.

Part of my inspiration came from Jenny at Little Green Notebook:

Instead of a large, obtrusive floral centerpiece, she used various small glass containers to make individual arrangements for each guest. 
I thought it was a fabulous idea and I also loved the black backdrop - so dramatic!

I knew I wanted a black, white, gold and silver color scheme for New Year's Eve and I didn't want to spend any money so I had to use only items I had on hand.

And a few items that were foraged from my mom's house.

None of my white tablecloths were large enough to fit my table with the leaf in so I used a twin size sheet I had on hand 
(that happened to be in a nearby pile of freshly laundered items.)

I topped it with a large piece of black fabric I borrowed from my mom's house.


Then I started adding my dishes, glassware and silverware.

These are my basics that I use for pretty much every special dining occassion.

(You can see how I used them for Christmas Eve dinner here.)


Next I added my individual bouquets which were made using flowers that were still fresh from Christmas Eve.

I cut them down and put them into these Reko glasses from Ikea:

They are $1.49

For SIX OF THEM!
I think 'Reko' must translate to 'super cheap.'

We mostly use them as juice glasses because they are just the right size.
But they worked perfectly as little vases for the table!


 I also added some small votive candles and a few more wine glasses.


 
 I was feeling pretty pleased with my little self after that so I decided something should be done about the chandelier to make it a bit more exciting.  

(You can read more about my dining room here and here.)

Without a specific plan in mind, I had borrowed a bunch of ribbon from my mom just in case some great idea came to me.

I started thinking maybe something streamer-y would be nice.

So I just started looping ribbon in various colors and sizes around the chandelier and came up with this:

I like that it's all free form and casual.

Like Medusa's hair.

And my hair.

Only without snakes.

And it reminds a bit of these:


Yeah...I know it's not even remotely the same but that ribbon cost about 5 bucks in comparison to about $5000+ so I get to pretend.

And here's my finished table all ready for guests and an evening of celebration:


Mmmm...Tres Leches Cake!


Whether you enjoyed an evening at a fantastic party with lots of friends or a quiet evening at home,
I hope it was fabulous!


À la vie et à l'amour
-Cortney




No comments:

Post a Comment