Mornings at our house during the week are not all sunshine and rainbows.
For example-Me: Good morning!
Daughter: I have no pants. They are all in the wash.
(Translation: "Good morning to you, too, mom".)
Me: I'll put them in the dryer while you finish getting ready and eat breakfast.
Daughter: I don't have time for breakfast!
Sometimes it goes like this-
Daughter or Son: I'm STAR-VING!
(Translation: "Good morning to you, too, mom.")
Me: What can I get you for breakfast?
Daughter or Son: We have nothing good.
Me: We have [this and this and this and this.]
Daughter or Son: Nevermind. I'm not even hungry.
When I found the following PALEO recipe for On The Go Egg Bites from PaleOMG, I knew this would solve all the world's problems.
Well, at least one morning problem at our house.
On the Go Egg Bites (a.k.a Sunshine & Rainbows Breakfast Muffins)
(adapted slightly from original recipe found here)
1 lb pork italian sausage
(I actually use breakfast sausage even though it's not ideal Paleo)
12 eggs, beaten
1-2 narrow sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into rounds about 1/4 inch thick
salt and pepper
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Cook sausage in pan over medium until no longer pink. Use your spatula to get it broken up into little pieces. Once it's finished cooking, transfer to plate or bowl (but keep the pan and the sausage grease in it on the stove.)
3) Add sweet potato slices to the pan you used for the sausage and cook for about 5 minutes per side or until the potato is soft in the center and toasty outside.
4) Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray (prefereably PALEO) or use silicone muffin cups and place a cooked sweet potato round at the bottom of each muffin cup.
5) Top each potato evenly with the sausage.
6) Then top each tin off with the beaten egg, being careful not to let it overflow (very messy!)
7) Cook in preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes (mine take the full 15) until the egg is no longer jiggly when you shake the pan slightly.
8) Let them cool a little then top with some salsa.
9) Refrigerate the leftovers. If you have any!
They are also great reheated in the microwave for about 45 seconds to 1 minute.
And the best part...my kids can grab one and eat it on the way to school!
Need more PALEO breakfast recipes?
Click here for PALEO Blueberry or Banana Nut Muffins.
À la vie et à l'amour