Thursday, November 1, 2012

Some Fun(gi) Stuff

Mushrooms are interesting little fellers.  

You can read about them here if you want to know a whole bunch of scientific names and mushroom trivia so you can sound smart at parties.

Or you could be a really FUN-GI and tell a joke:

Q: Why did the Fungi leave the party?
A: There wasn't mushroom.

Q: Why did the Mushroom get invited to all the parties?
A: 'Cuz he's a fungi!


Bad jokes aside, I want to share with you some of the reasons I like mushrooms.
Other than the fact that they are delicious.

First and foremost, shitake mushroom color paint is such a great color choice.
I think that's because it goes with just about anything!
It's neutral, yet warm and inviting.

Like Switzerland.
Or your Grandma's house.





And look at those yummy velvety shitake mushroom curtains.
The whole room is very masculine but the sparkle of the brass nightstand and gold framed artwork and those crisp white sheets make it dreamy enough for a lady.  

 
And check out this vintage inspired mushroom wallpaper from Ferm Living that was featured via Decor8blog.com


How great would it be in the kitchen lining the walls or as a backdrop in a cabinet or hutch?


This gorgeous mushroom gray sofa from One King's Lane would be so perfect in my living room!
Just for grins and giggles I would have a throw pillow in this fabric from fabric.com
 to see if anyone would pickup on my subtle nod to more cartoon-ish versions of mushrooms.




And check out some of these pieces from the incredibly talented artist, Sarah Veron, at http://jardindefaience.blogspot.com


How cool would it be to have one of these for your backyard?
Her blog is entirely 'en francais' but I was able to gather that she has a brother 
and his name is Guy.

(Everyone told me French would be useless but I totally just showed them!)



Even though mushrooms are not just for eating I still want to share with you my recipe for 

Cream of Mushroom Soup

 Call me crazy but pouring a gray, gelatinous blob from a can and mixing it with water does not a good soup make!

Cream of Mushroom Soup
Ingredients:
5 cups mushrooms, sliced (I like cremini and baby portabella)  


1/2 medium onion, minced
4 Tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups water
1 Tablespoon Beef Base
1 Tablespoon Chicken Base


1 cup whole milk
1 cup half and half (or whipping cream if you prefer a thicker soup)
3/4 teaspoon salt


Slice your mushrooms. I like to remove the stems first because I don't like the stem but they are perfectly fine to eat if you want to keep the stem on.


Mince your onion.
In large saucepan, melt butter then sautee onions and mushrooms for about 15 minutes until tender.


Add all of the other ingredients and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes.
Eat it.
Smile.




 
À la vie et à l'amour
-Cortney






No comments:

Post a Comment