Monday, July 7, 2014

DIY: Painted Trinket Dish

I can't believe I never posted this project from back in December!
It's so inexpensive and easy and it makes a great little hostess gift, whether it's for the holidays or just as a small gift for someone for something special.
Like a day that ends in the letter 'y.'



Materials:
-Small clear glass candy dishes (I found these in the dollar bins at Target for $1 each)




-Cheap nail polish (I used NYC brand in black and white and some other neon pink one I had on hand)



-Glossy spray paint
-Sticky back felt (I found mine at Hobby Lobby)


I don't have photos of the actual process because it was so easy that I actually had monkeys do this for me and they are highly unphotogenic so the pictures were terrible.

Step 1:
Lay out a drop cloth in a well-ventilated area and lay your glass dishes on it, upside down.

Step 2:
Spatter paint the backsides of the glass dishes using the nail polish and let it dry completely.  You could even do polka dots or, if you're the artistic type, paint something really wonderful like the Mona Lisa or something.

Step 3:
Spray paint OVER the dried spattered nail polish and let dry completely. You may need 2 coats of the spray paint to cover thoroughly.

Step 4:
Once the paint is completely dry, cut out sticky back felt circles to fit the bottom of your glass dish and adhere to bottoms of dishes.

Step 5:
Smile at your own awesomeness!

For jewelry

On an entry table to hold keys and spare change

For holding paperclips and other supplies on your desk

In the bathroom to hold bobby pins and hair bands

Or be super creative and use it as a candy dish

My favorite is the one using neon pink nail polish. I use it in my bathroom.  This one doesn't have the felt pad on the bottom so the paint edges have worn off slightly...easy to fix though.


À la vie et à l'amour
-Cortney




No comments:

Post a Comment