Friday, September 21, 2012

Leftovers & a DIY Project

Why is it that the fantastic dinner you made on Wednesday always looks like something a homeless person fished out of a trash can when you uncover it on Friday? 
 
It's as though the dinner was personally insulted that you couldn't eat it so it slowly dies a little inside every day as it sits until it's just a pile of old dead food.

But...
Now that you've lost your appetite, you have some extra time for a DIY Project made from 'leftovers'!

I went into my daughter's room the other day and she had jewelry (and pretty much everything else she owns) strewn about on every surface! I thought to myself, 
“Self, she needs to move out! a place to put her jewelry.”

I had a vintage thrift store frame that I had been saving for an undecided project. 
I also had some burlap fabric leftover from my daughter's room redo and a piece of foam board leftover from one of my son's school projects. And I had...

DUCT TAPE!

I cut a piece of foam to fit the frame and 2 layers of burlap large enough to cover the foam.

 
Then I wrapped the burlap around the foam piece and used duct tape to secure it to the back.
(For this project I decided I would rather have the layers of my finger skin jaggedly ripped off by duct tape rather than melted off by my glue gun.)


Next I pressed the fabric-wrapped foam board into the frame and duct taped it again so it wouldn't fall out.


Finally I staple gunned the existing wire to the back then wrapped the wire around itself so I could hang it.


In about a total of 15 minutes I had this completed project:





Isn't it just the bees knees?

Now go grab some leftovers and breathe some life into them!

À la vie et à l'amour
-Cortney



No comments:

Post a Comment