Friday, October 25, 2013

Trunks

While my oldest daughter has been diligently working on college applications, I have been diligently working on finding great ideas for her future dorm room.

As I mentioned in a previous post, my college dorm room pretty much sucked.
I couldn't possibly have her share the same fate.

My plan is to find cool, durable pieces that she can use now while she is living at home that will be perfect for small space dorm room living a year from now and will also work when she lives on her own in her first apartment.

My top pick is a large trunk or foot locker. 
A trunk is perfect for storing extra blankets and bedding, out of season clothing, books and toiletries, a large stash of non perishable snack items, a collection of cats, dead bodies, or whatever it is that you want to take with you to college but you maybe don't want to look at every day.

But, in addition to the obvious storage functionality, I like that there are so many ways it can serve as a piece of beautiful furniture.

source unknown
source

source unknown

source unknown

source

source

source

source

source
source unknown


For her birthday, my daughter received this fantastic crimson red trunk.


She's using it now to store items she is planning to take with her to college.
We topped it with a small sheepskin from Ikea (also a birthday gift) and now it's a super soft seat in her room and I can sit on it and talk to her about important things like sloths and New Girl while she tries desperately to kick me out of her room.



But mostly she just throws crap on top of it that she doesn't have time to put away.

Which I suppose is also a perfectly legitimate use for a trunk.

À la vie et à l'amour
-Cortney


 

No comments:

Post a Comment