Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Closet Improvements for FREE!

There is nothing quite like the feeling I get from making an improvement to my home for nothing more than the cost of a little elbow grease.

When I walked into my husband and mine's shared walk in closet one morning a few weeks ago and was met with this I knew it was time to make some serious improvements.

Or possibly just torch this area of our home.



Somehow this small area that I use every day had become a drop pile for anything we didn't have a specific place for or were too tired/lazy/hoard-y to put away or get rid of.

In additional to being a catchall space,my husband's side was filled with clothing that was too big because he has lost over 50 pounds this past year.
So I helped him clean out a few of those clothing items to donate:


I put all of the non-clothing items in the attic, vacuumed the baseboards and carpet, and then re-used all of the same organizational baskets, boxes, shoe storage, etc that I already had on hand.

I organized my husband's side by clothing type - athletic shirts, short sleeves, long sleeves, dress shirts, pants, jackets and coats.

My side is organized by color.
Because I like rainbows.
And also unicorns.
Which is a complete side note because I don't actually own a unicorn and if I did I certainly wouldn't have it in my closet.
Because it's too small.
The closet, not unicorns because those are actually pretty big, I think.



Obviously the hard part is keeping it clean and organized so I wanted to show you what it looks like several weeks after the initial cleaning and organization.


Of course now I'm thinking of all the ways I could improve this space even more.
Such as painting the dresser and putting some cool hardware on it, adding some pretty decorative baskets and boxes, etc.



It's so stylish and organized and I will probably be dreaming about this for weeks!
I am sure she will be posting soon about the DIY details and I can't wait to read all about them because usually her projects are pretty simple to do and are usually very affordable.

But, for now, I'm happy and content with my FREE closet makeover!


À la vie et à l'amour
-Cortney



No comments:

Post a Comment