Thursday, August 16, 2012

Comparison

There are several blogs that I enjoy reading regularly.
They are all decorating and lifestyle blogs because that's what I like. 

I have come to the realization that the women who write my favorite blogs are simply put...
better than me. 

They are better at everything – writing, photography, decorating, fashion, cooking and probably parenting (but just wait until THEIR kids are teenagers!)

I invite you to peruse the photos below for a glimpse at a few of my favorite bloggers:












As much as I enjoy reading every last word of their blogs and often find great inspiration from them, the more I read them, the more difficult it becomes to write my own.

I start to feel that anything I have to say has already been said before, and said better.
They also know more about great design and décor than I could ever hope to absorb.
So while they might post a room and say something all poignant and great like, 

I love how the juxtaposition of the such and such relates to the clean modern lines of the so and so which brings out the lushness of the whatnot” 

I will post the same room and say something all doofus-y like, 
Ooooooh, pretty.”

And where is all of their 'ugly stuff'? 
 You know – the papers and lists and piles of laundry and the shoes and toys the kids leave lying around and the drink glasses and duct tape? 
 Even their haphazard piles of junk look beautiful while mine look like this:



A friend of mine mentioned to me a few months ago (through a conversation about something completely unrelated to how much I suck at everything) that she had a quote on her fridge that reads

Comparison kills contentment

I have thought about that quote almost daily since hearing it.
Some people will say that comparison is what keeps you motivated to strive for something greater. 

That may be true. But it DOES kill contentment.

When I get into comparison mode I end up hating everything about my house, my clothes, my work and often myself. 
It is extremely UN-motivating for me and makes me want to give up and crawl under a rock.

When I stop the comparisons and look closely at my accomplishments  (however small they may seem) I feel much more at ease and content. 
That doesn't mean that I don't want to keep striving for improvement, it just means that I am free to enjoy the efforts I have already made.

I am constantly telling my kids,
'You don't have to be better than anyone else. Just be the best YOU that you can be.'
I think it may be time to listen to my own advice.


À la vie et à l'amour
-Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment