Thursday, June 19, 2014

Thrifty Thursday: Vintage Formal Gown

I am really excited about today's Thrifty Thursday post and I really have no idea why it's taken me so long to get around to writing this particular one because it's been 'brewing' in my head for 43 weeks!
I know it was 43 weeks because that what it says on the Instagram post.

Anyway, late last summer I made my daughters go to one of my favorite local thrift stores with me and we spent a significant amount of time there looking through all the things.

I was rummaging through their mile long rack of dresses when I came across something so fantastically wonderful that I gasped very loudly and upset my 16 year old because she startles easily.
But I really couldn't help it because look!

Details

It was a vintage formal gown in perfect condition in my daughter's size and it was only $14.51 and no I didn't mistype the decimal!

Model face

Trying it on the day we bought it.

Knowing she would need at least one formal dress for her upcoming Senior year activities and events, my daughter was equally excited that we had already found something so amazing by complete accident.

We had to make a couple of small, easy alterations for a truly perfect fit but it looked gorgeous on her!
(And we never had to worry about someone else having an identical dress, of course.)

At her Senior night event.

She also ended up wearing it for some of her Senior portraits
 (which were taken by my wonderfully talented cousin.)

Doesn't everyone wear a formal gown on a swampy bridge?


Every time I see this dress I am still in shock that we were able to find such a great timeless piece for less than $20!


À la vie et à l'amour
-Cortney



No comments:

Post a Comment