Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My Dark Secret...& Fondue


I could say various things about myself such as:
I am “budget conscious”
I am “frugal”

or how about
I am “thrifty”

but let's just call a spade a spade.

I am cheap.

Not the cheap like Britney Spears or a handbag knock off with cracking fake leather handles or lady of the night cheap. I mean cheap as in I don't like to pay a lot of money for stuff. Don't get me wrong – I LOVE the 'good stuff' but would rather go without something than pay a lot of money for it. It's odd, too, because I DON'T come from a family of cheapskates. My entire family is comprised of hard-working individuals who live comfortably and somehow I, too, despite my cheapness, have some very nice things.

Which brings me to my dark secret.

I love treasure hunting – at antique stores, flea markets, Ebay, garage sales and, yes, Thrift Stores. I know there are many people who would not be caught dead in a Thrift Store and I will admit – some of them can be a bit...sketchy. And smelly. And sticky (don't even ask!) But it's a heck of a lot more fun to find a treasure for $10 at the Thrift Store rather than paying $50 for the same thing at the Antiques Store. Which brings me to part 2 of my post.

FONDUE!

I took one of my daughters to the Thrift Store yesterday. She is on the hunt for crappy old jeans to cut up and dye and make into something fabulous she saw on Pinterest. (You can follow her or check out her Pinterest here.) So, whilst she is exploring the jeans I went on my own treasure hunt. And there it was in all its glory – a vintage aluminum FONDUE POT! I felt like I had gotten away with something when I tucked it under my arm to take to the check out. I am almost embarrassed to tell you how much it was but I have to because that's the best freakin' part! It was only $4.00!

We brought it home and washed it out and had a fantastic mom/daughter night with cheese fondue and steak. Here is my beautiful new Fondue pot ready for us to enjoy :


I don't know what it is about Fondue and vintage Fondue pots and skewers but I love them with all my heart. This one makes #3 (yes, my lucky number) in the Fondue pot collection. If you are also a Fondue lover and want to try the recipe I used click here. It's super easy and really delicious!

Last thing - I decided to be all clever and sign off each of my posts (if I can remember to do it each time) so here goes:

À la vie et à l'amour
-Cortney

No comments:

Post a Comment