Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Dark & Welcoming Black Entryway

It just dawned on me that I never did post about the entryway I painted black over the summer.
Which is so weird because it's one of my most favorite spaces in my home EV-ER!

Before I painted this small area, I mentioned my idea about black paint to a few people and you would have thought I had just insulted their first born child.
But, I really love how the black complements the gray paint on the walls of the adjoining rooms and it looks amazing in every kind of light.

Funny how black is so classic and awesome like that.

And, if someone tries to tell you that dark walls make a space feel closed in, you have permission to smack 'em in the head because they are just plain wrong.


The rug is not staying forever but it has to do for now because I haven't found exactly what I want
And also because this one was free and a new one is not.


And now I also get to see how important it is to paint your light switch plates or replace them with brass so you don't look at your photos and think,
"What is that ugly white rectangle thing on my beautiful black wall?"


The brass lamp was a $4 thrift store find!

The ponytail Bonsai was a gift over a year ago and is STILL ALIVE!
I should certainly get an award for that alone because this is the first time in my life I've managed to keep something alive other than my children and 1 dog who has actually almost died twice.
We think he might actually be a cat.

Also, Mahogany Teakwood candles from Bath & Body Works smell like a man.
Specifically, a man who is freshly showered and wearing cologne because you wouldn't necessarily buy a candle that smells like a man otherwise.


My collection of blue and white vessels are also mostly thrift store finds.



This framed print is my favorite photo of my grandparents early in their marriage that I had enlarged at Staples for only $12.

They've been married for close to 70 years!
Can you even believe that?

The original photo is only about 3 inches by 2 inches so having it enlarged this much made it a bit grainy, but I think the graininess adds to the vintage charm of it.
(You can see the original photo tucked into the bottom right corner of the frame.)


 Baskets for holding dog paraphenalia.



The vintage buffet matches my dining room and was part of a set my husband's grandmother owned that we inherited the first year we were married.

I didn't love it so much then but have grown rather fond of it over the years.
Funny how that works.


I'm thinking about painting the coat rack that hangs just to the left but am having trouble committing to a color.
Any thoughts on that???

Okay, so there's that bit of specialness.

À la vie et à l'amour
-Cortney


No comments:

Post a Comment