Thursday, July 4, 2013

Get Yo' Freedom On!

Happy July 4th, everyone!

Last night while I was attempting to fall asleep I started thinking,
"Why do Americans not have British accents?"

Maybe changing our dialect and accents was just another way we rebelled against Britain when we settled in this fine country of ours. 

I've actually tried speaking with a British accent.
For some reason I always revert to Robin Williams', "Hellllooooooo" scene in Mrs Doubtfire:



It's always the first thing that pops into my head when I need to pull out a British accent at the spur of the moment.

Which totally happens all the time.

My mom thinks Brits sound like they're speaking with marbles in their mouths.
I don't recommend trying to perfect your British accent that way because if you swallow one, it's probably going to be unpleasant on it's way out.

Clink!

But, I do recommend celebrating your freedom from those marble eating Brits by gettin' your inner hippie on and cruisin' the good 'ol USA in style in one of these babies.



Nothing says 'FREEDOM' to me like driving a long stretch of highway in a vintage Volkswagon van!



(Ironically, many of the above photos are from British blogs - you can get the original sources by checking out my VW Van board on Pinterest.)

I plan to own one someday and fix it up like a cute little vintage hippie house and maybe I'll even use my afghan collection in it.

Then, Sean and I will drive all over the country visiting antique shops and apple orchards and we'll eat at crappy diners and then and go hiking to make ourselves feel healthier and then we'll watch sunsets and drink wine every evening and talk about how much freedom we have.

Ahhhh...it's good to have dreams.

Isn't that what freedom and Independence Day is all about, really?

Keep dreamin' my friends, and have a great July 4th!

À la vie et à l'amour
-Cortney



No comments:

Post a Comment